Library Media Specialist (LMS) Academy 2013-2014
This academy focuses on the changing role of the Library Media Specialist in K-12 education today. Today’s LMS must play the versatile role of an instructional partner responsible for ensuring that students and staff are efficient and effective users of information. This long-term academy will assist LMS personnel in teaching and connecting the standards of AASL, ISTE and the NETS along with the Common Core Standards. Registration is open for all library media specialists and those interested in media literacy in K-12 education. Participants have an option to earn 3.0 graduate credits for an additional cost of $60 per credit hour through Lindenwood University.
● Learn how to develop lessons that support the AASL, ISTE, CCSS & NETS Standards
● Understand the meaning of media literacy as it applies to 21st century skills
● Network with colleagues working in school libraries across the area and globally
● Learn digital tools that promote effective use of digital media for K12 students
● Examine problem based activities and digital, web & media literacy lessons
● Examine best practices for Copyright and Fair Use
● Explore digital citizenship and literacy curriculum resources
● Contribute in an online learning community, Moodle
● Participate in 30 hours of blended learning professional development
● Attend one day of the Midwest Education Technology Conference (METC)
Dates and times of participation:
All classes meet at CSD from 4-7pm:
● September 24
● October 15
● November 12
● December 10
● January 14
● February 11 OR 12 (METC; St. Charles Convention Center)
● March 11
● April 8
Cost: $395 non-members $495 members
All training sessions will take place at CSD on 1460 Craig Rd. except for the Feb. session, which will be at the St. Charles Convention Center.
To register, go to: http://csd-web.ungerboeck.com/coe/coe_p1_all.aspx?oc=10&cc=COEALL and scroll down to Sept. 24th.
P.O.’s and credit cards will be accepted. Space is limited, so register early! If you have questions, contact Martha Bogart at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-692-1258.