Monthly Archives: May 2012
“Change your school colors to green with free computer recycling from Apple” – I noticed that our blog post from May of 2011 was getting a lot of hits in the last few days, so I clicked around and saw the Apple is again recycling old computers! According to their website, this is a limited time & exclusive offer to accredited K-12 and Higher Education Institutions in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. Registration for free recycling is available from May 14 through August 31, 2012.
Here’s what you need to know:
• Institutions must have 25 or more computer items (qualifying computers, printers, or displays) to recycle.
• Institutions must register products for recycling prior to shipping them.
• Apple will also accept other brands and types of equipment.
• Products must be registered for pickup by August 31st.
• Institutions must pack & shrink-wrap eligible equipment – Apple does not provide pallets, shrink-wrap, or packing labor.
• Apple is not responsible for any of the data on recycled equipment.
• Click here for more information on this program, and click here for general information on Apple’s recycling efforts.
The Call for Proposals for METC 2013 is officially open! Our submission process has changed, so be sure to read over the details carefully on the Call for Proposals info page on the Midwest Education Technology Conference’s website, METCconference.org.
In our 30th year, here’s some of what we’re looking for:
- How is your district implementing the Common Core State Standards?
- How do you manage all of those mobile devices?
- What tech tools do you use to reach and teach your students?
- How do you engage your tech savvy students? Does it make a difference in your classroom, library, school or district?
- How do you use technology to differentiate lessons and meet the needs of all students?
Here’s some extra incentive: as a presenter, you would register at a presenter rate of $50 for the day of the presentation, and just $90 for an additional day. Any preconference (half-day or full day) presenter would attend one day of the general conference for free. Also, please note that this year we have two separate deadlines for submissions:
• Preconference Session Submission Deadline: August 24, 2012
• General Session Submission Deadline: September 14, 2012
Also, new this year… do you feel you are a leader in education technology? Apply to be one of our Midwest Spotlight Educators! You may also nominate a colleague for this special recognition at METC 2013. Those who are accepted will not only present at the conference, but will also receive free registration for the general conference as well as other benefits.
- Demonstrate motivation, engagement, transformation, and connection using technology to improve teaching and learning. (the METC theme)
- Provides a minimum of two references.
- Must be a certified educator in Missouri or Illinois.
- If accepted, presents at least 2 sessions at the conference. (does not include precon workshops or panel sessions)
Click here to learn more about the Midwest Spotlight Educator speaking opportunity and apply or nominate a colleague today. Questions about any of the above? Contact Megan Moncure at firstname.lastname@example.org.